Pizza is the ultimate comfort food. Whether you’re on your own with your duvet and netflix or having a big night in with all your friends, pizza is compulsary. I’ve had some amazing healthy pizza bases from restaurants in London over the past few months. But, while they more than satisfy any cravings I may encounter, my student budget hardly allows for them to become a regular indulgence. Having spent 7 years believing that I would never taste a gorgeous, doughy, tomato lathered pizza again though, as you can imagine, upon learning that gluten free vegan pizzas do exist and are delicious, I want nothing more than to eat a pizza a day.
I’ve not had much luck with other recipes for gluten free pizza bases as they often crumble and leave a lot to be desired, so I decided to try my hand at my own. The result was beyond all my expectations! The base exterior is lovely and crispy while still having an amazing doughy centre. The sweet potato works wonderfully to fuse the together the dough while also bringing everyone’s favourite flavour into the mix. With just the addition of some herbs and olive oil, this pizza becomes truly delicious and so perfect to serve everyone at your next movie and pizza night. I’m already planning mine!
- 1 cup quinoa flour (You can sub buckwheat or brown rice flour)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons water
- Tomato puree
- Bell peppers
- Red Onions
- Fresh Coriander
- Avocado (An amazing creamy substitute for cheese)
- Begin by peeling and chopping your sweet potatoes into chunk and steaming them for 6-8 minutes, until they are soft and you can put a sharp knife through them with ease. Allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined. The mixture may appear not completely gelled but that’s fine, you will use your hands to mould it.
- Transfer your mixture onto a pizza-pan (you can also use the bottom of a circular springform cake tin) and use your hands to press and spread the mixture until it is distributed evenly.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes. At 15 minutes you can remove from the oven, add your toppings and return to the oven for the remaining 5 minutes to heat them through.
- Remove, slice and enjoy!